After working with countless high school students on potential career research, here is what I can report to we parents:
- Our kids do have amazing career dreams
- They have no idea what that potential career really requires
- They are often shocked when they find out
What happens then?
- Are they heading in the wrong career direction?
- Can they afford the career they are aiming for? (from the salary to the yrs of school ahead)?
- Do they waste 2-4 years at the wrong college?
What’s a parent to do?
1st: Make a list.
As you probably know, our big parent move/wish is for every parent to make a “list” of things you want your “nearly flown” to experience and learn before they fly off. It’s that gap between what they are learning in school vs. what we teach naturally at home that often trips we parents up.
Getting your child to research potential careers pays huge dividendswhen you place it on your “to-do” list for your...